HCLG Committee holds one-off session on implementation of Hackitt Review into building regulations and fire safety
The Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee holds a one off session with Housing Minister, Kit Malthouse MP, and Dame Judith Hackitt, Chair of the Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety on Monday 25 January. The focus of the session is to examine Government progress on the implementation of the findings of the Hackitt Review.
Following the Grenfell Tower fire, the Independent Review of Building Regulations (also known as the Hackitt Review) was established to investigate the suitability of the existing regulatory system for ensuring fire safety in high rise and complex buildings. Its final report was published in May 2018, setting out recommendations including:
• a new regulatory framework, beginning with a focus on higher risk residential buildings (HRRBs)
• a new Joint Competent Authority (JCA) to oversee better management of safety risks throughout the life of a building
• a mandatory incident reporting mechanism for duty holders with concerns about the safety of a HRRB.
The Government has pledged to adopt the recommendations in full. The purpose of the evidence session is to examine its progress in doing so, and the mechanisms and timescales for implementation.
The Committee will examine the effectiveness of Government proposals for a combustible cladding ban, as well as progress in removing dangerous cladding from existing buildings. It will look at what measures have been taken to facilitate a culture change in the sector and encourage industry participation in the development and implementation of the new regulatory system.
The Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee published a report into the Hackitt Review in 2018. More information is available here.
Monday 28 January, Thatcher Room, Portcullis House
• Dame Judith Hackitt, former Chair, Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety
• Kit Malthouse MP, Minister of State for Housing and Planning