From: Building Regulations and Fire Safety Review <BuildingRegulationsandFireSafetyReview@communities.gsi.gov.uk>
Date: 17 May 2018 at 09:56:59 BST
Subject: Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety: Final Report
The final report of the Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety was published today. You can find the report here:
The report sets out an ambitious vision for a new regulatory framework that will improve standards for both new and existing higher-risk residential buildings. At the heart of the new system will be greater accountability and responsibility to ensure that those undertaking building work make careful judgements about how to make the building safe, rather than waiting to be told what to do.
The report includes a detailed set of recommendations including:
• A less prescriptive, outcomes-based approach to the regulatory framework to be overseen by a new regulator that can drive the right behaviours;
• Clearer roles and responsibilities throughout the design and construction process and during occupation, to ensure real accountability for building safety;
• Residents to be consulted and involved in decisions affecting the safety of their home and listened to if they have concerns;
• A more rigorous and transparent product testing regime and a more responsible marketing regime;
• Industry to lead on strengthening competence of all those involved in building work and to establish an oversight body.
The government will now consider the recommendations of the review.
Independent Review Team on behalf of Dame Judith Hackitt
The Interim Report can be found at:
Terms of Reference can be found at: